Saturday, November 27, 2010

Bulbing Session

Last night I took more pictures on my Holga than my dSLR. When I downloaded my the pictures in my PC I realized I only took 31 shots. I might have taken more but I usually delete the unwanted ones.

I shot 2 rolls of 120 films. That’s 24 prints, and that’s a lot in Holga Standards. 

Friday 004

Friday 007

Holga Bokeh

My 2 1/2 year old Holga is enjoying itself sitting on top of a tripod.

I learned the basics of photography with it actually. It’s got a focal point of 60mm (supposedly) aperture of shutter speed of 1:8 (apparently) and f/13 (presumably). But really it is more like guesswork. Due to the uncoupled lens and view finder, the focal point becomes merely a “reference” for focusing. One must shoot with the “centre slightly to the right”. Shutter speed is fixed but you can keep it open to infinity and beyond with bulb mode. The aperture is a joke. It’s supposed to have Cloudy (f/13) and Sunny (f/20) but it is really just an added decoration.

I always get weird pictures, but never unwanted ones. My Holga have a mind and mood of its own.

Inside Bus 7

Light Chaos

Waiting for Bus 7

One of those handleld shots

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures!

    I like Holga for the exact same reason. It gives unexpected results. I'd say I've got a whole lot better good photo -ratio with my Holga than with my dSLR, there's just some magic in there. I think the lack of controls and relatively limited number of shots per roll are the things that make it so special. You have to think, but not too much. You have time to focus on the concept and the composition.

    I'll have to keep an eye on your blog. It looks very interesting. And has a very nice layout btw.

    Best regards
    Antti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Antti, I've been following your blog in my reader too! Kinda stalking very very cool holga blogs.

    I had my Holga before I ever had my first digicam actually, and even with 2 plus years I still can't predict it's mood. So yeah, I had to learn the hard way too, all manual auto nothing, with a weird film format.

    Cheers and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails